Module 05 Content
- As a portion of security compliance, one of the board members used SANS security controls at a former business and was very pleased with its outcomes. Based on this knowledge and to meet the needs of the board members, you have decided on implementing a few monitoring rules to help meet the requirements of five of the SANS Top 20 Controls.
For this part of your project, you will be addressing the following SANS Security Controls:
- Asset Inventory of Authorized and Unauthorized Devices
- Software Inventory of Authorized and Unauthorized Devices
- Malware Defenses
- Boundary Defense
- Controlled use of Administrative Privileges
- For each of these controls below, create a document that details the following information for each monitoring rule:
- Brief description of the monitoring used and the alerting processes
- Devices to pull log data from in order to satisfy the monitoring rule.
- Frequency of the log data collection: (Real-Time, Hourly, Weekly, Monthly, Annually)
- At least two ways this monitor could be tested to validate any false positives or negatives
- Your reports should use professional tone and vocabulary, APA format, and proper spelling and grammar.
Submit your completed assignments by following the directions linked below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
Save your assignments as a Microsoft Word document. (Mac users, please remember to append the “.docx” extension to the filename.) The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below: