you will visit several web sites to learn more about ancient life and fossils. Each question is worth 1 pt each.
A. Getting into the Fossil Record
1. View the animation about getting into the fossil record, and write several explanations summarizing how a dinosaur can become a fossil.
2. The word “fossil” means what (from Latin)?
3. What are paleontologists?
4. Fossils can be body parts of ancient organisms, or they can be traces. Give five examples of traces.
- Which type of organism do you think is most likely to be preserved? One that gets buried quickly or one that gets buried slowly? Why?
- What are three biotic factors that can affect an organism after death?
- What is an abiotic factor that can prevent the organism from becoming preserved, AFTER it has been buried?
- What type of animal might become preserved in amber?
- Where is a tar pit found?
- What type of animal might become preserved in a tar pit?
- Which is more likely to fossilize? Hard parts or soft parts?
- Which type of rock is most likely to contain fossils? Igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic?
- Why is a mammoth more likely to fossilize than a caterpillar?
- What are the 3 domains of life?
Click on the link for Bacteria in the diagram.
- What do bacteria do, and why are they important?
- What is the age of the oldest fossil bacteria?
At the bottom of the Bacteria Page, click on Fossil Record and follow the links.
- What are cyanobacteria?
- Name two layered structures that cyanobacteria form.
- Explain how cyanobacteria produce these layered structures.
Use the Back button to return to the “History of Life Through Time” page. Click on the link for Eukaryota in the diagram.
- Which four groups of organisms are included in the Eukaryota?
Click on the Palm Tree.
- Plants first appeared in the __A__ but did no begin to resemble modern land plants until the Late __B__.
- Trees appeared by the end of the __A__ Period.
Use the Back button to return to the “History of Life Through Time” page. Click on the link for Archaea in the diagram.
- When were the Archaea discovered?
- What sorts of extreme environments do the Archaea inhabit? List five.